Thursday 5 July 2007

Progress report :)

I haven't really updated where the boys are at for a few days now....

After things dragging on for so long up at PMH we have noticed a real difference now that the babies are at SJOG Murdoch. Since arriving there the other day they have been taken off of all monitoring - so that means although they may still be having small desats they are no longer being monitored. When we asked the Dr about why he said that they have to be taken off monitoring at some point and that they can see by watching them that these desats are nothing major as they don't cause a colour change or distress in the bubs. So that is good news! We can now cuddle them without any wires attached at all :) The only thing left is the NG tube and hopefully that won't be in too much longer either.

They have also been offering suck feeds at every feed and although they are very sleepy and tired they are managing to suck most feeds and have not had a tube feed for half a day now. Hopefully they will manage to get through by being woken for bottle/breast feeds every feed and then after a while they can have the tubes taken out. I can't wait to see their little faces without all that tape all over them for the first time - then we can see what they really look like!

The final change is that they have stopped the thickening of the milk in bottles. Up at PMH the Drs and Nurses had diagnosed them as having reflux (apparently very common in premmies anyway) and although they weren't throwing up their feeds you can see that they do seem to have "silent" relux where the feeds still come up and burn them. They make the little squeaky noises and coughing that seems to indicate the reflux. The PMH Drs decided to add thickener to the feeds but as Murdoch didn't have any thinckener and the bubs went without it for the first night, they decided they didn't need it. They didn't notice any difference in them either with or wothout the thickener so it makes no difference really! At this point that all seems fine and the bubs seem no worse without it so I am happy with that.

All in all pretty good progress I would say!! It really shouldn't be too long before we get told we can bring them home now and that actually makes me very nervous. I am scared that I won't be able to be a good mum to two babies at once. I am scared that I might not be able to look after them as well as they have been looked after in hospital. I am scared that they are more fragile than my other babies have ever been and that they might be more at risk for illness or SIDS. I am scared that I won't be able to feed them the way I want to and will have to give them formula. I am excited, I am just nervous!

M.

3 comments:

Kylie M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kylie M said...

Fantastic that the twins are doing so well.

You are an awesome Mum Marnie and will do a fantastic job when they finally get home. I bet you'll have lot's of other little hands helping you too.

Thinking of you all.

Kylie

Georgie said...

Good news, I'm glad they're closer to you :)
Sounds like they are strong little boys, and they're lucky to have a fantastic strong mama too.