Thursday 21 June 2007

more good news :)

Today the bubs are still on the right track :) Every time I go up to the hospital I find myself walking into that room and holding my breath until I am told that they are still doing the right things! I feel like I am waiting for the bad news again but I have everything crossed that we are past that stage now.

Blake is now being slowly switched to two hourly feeds. They have stopped the continuous infusion and instead feed him through the NG tube on the hour, but different amounts each hour. The idea is that one hour he might get a little less than half and the next a little more and gradually the amounts will change so that in the end he is receiving the full feed every 2 hours and nothing on the odd hour. Once he has achieved that and is tolerating it he will switch in the same way from two hourly to three hourly feeds. Once on three hourly feeds he will be where it is considered "normal" and we will be able to think about breastfeeding and teaching him how to suck feed.

Blake is also slowly being adapted to room temperature so that they can be sure he is capable of maintaining his own body temp and he can come out of the humidicrib - YIPPEE!! I can't wait to get him out of that horrible box he has had to live in for almost 4 weeks now. I am pretty sure that once he goes into a perspex cot I am allowed to pick him up and give him lots more cuddles too - I am really looking forward to that :)

Little Max is still lagging behind a little with his feeds but they are pushing on. He is now on 8ml per hour continuous and seems to be tolerating it ok. His tummy is not too distended and looks ok, but he is still not having dirty nappies on his own so he really needs to start doing that so we can be sure his digestive system is working. Until he reaches full feed amounts he still has the drip for the TPN but I am hopeful that he will reach that point in the next few days. I can't wait to see that nasty needle out of his arms and legs - his little hands and feet are literally black from bruising so it must be painful. He is still having the eye drops for that eye infection but that seems to be all clearing up now and I am hoping that the only reason he is a little slower is because he did get sick and had to fight off infections and now that is all cleared up he will catch up too.

I am finding myself getting increasingly frustrated this week. I can see good progress in the bubs but it is making me anxious to get them home! While they were sick it was really scary and I was petrified of what was going to happen next, but I also knew that I couldn't take care of them and that they were in the best possible place. Now that they are seemingly healthy I just keep thinking "I want them home! I am sick of the freeway, sick of that hospital and sick of our lives being turned upside down!". The kids at home have had enough too and I just want some form of "normal" to return to our house (whatever that new "normal" might be! I just want to start learning how to deal with everything and to get on with it!!!) I have never been very good at waiting for anything so this is really testing me, LOL!

aaaah well, I'd better go to bed so I can get up and face it all again tomorrow!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

marnie - I have just found you via Kim's blog. I too have had prem twins ( born at 25weeks) and can understand the frustrations of hospital life, and ALL the ups and downs. Hope all goes step by step - little by little. Contact me if you want to chat about it all. Sometimes it helps if someone understands the grief and uncertainlty of it all. Lisa

Ps I'm a Scrapboxx girl (Simplescrapper)