Thursday 28 June 2007

One month old today!



and what a crazy first month of life it's been!

They are really pushing the boys ahead now, on one hand I am glad but at the same time I am worried that it will all be too much for them. When I arrived today I saw that they have now placed them both in a wire cot together! I was very glad to see them in there with each other - it was like they were finally where they belonged! The reason I am a little worried is that all along we have been told "we have to take it very slow" and "we can't rush them or they won't cope" and then all of a sudden everything is changing (particularly for Max) and they are rapidly placed on full feeds, out of isolettes and then almost immediately out of perspex cots and into open wire cots, being pushed to suck feed at every feed now (despite the charts saying "offer 2 suck feeds a day") etc..

We had been given the best news yet this afternoon - that all being well today they would be transferred back to SJOG Murdoch toorrow morning! It really is a step closer to home and it means that the Drs at PMH feel that they are stable and going really well now and that all they need is to learn to feed. Then from about lunch time on it all started going a little pear shaped! Max started having regular desats (like every few minutes!) and required stimulation to bring the oxygen levels back up a few times. Then later in the afternoon Blake decided to join in the fun and he had two fairly long ones that actually saw him going a bit blue in colour. I can't help but wonder if they are just not coping all that well with all the changes that have been forced on them in the last two days! Believe me, I want them to progress more than anyone else does but I really don't want them to be pushed too hard and to take a step backwards! The Dr came to look at them and ordered blood cultures and CRP (to test for the presence of infection). I have since rung to check on them and although Blake has settled down, Max is still having desats. The blood resuts are now back and they are all normal - so who knows what is going on?

Anyhow, some other good news we received was that an eye screen that they had done shows no problems at this point (bubs born prem have a much greater risk of eye problems) They will need a follow up screen done in 2 weeks at the clinic at PMH but it all looks good for now. A Dr also came and spoke to me and again assured me that there was nothing to be concerned about in the head scans any more and that they are not worried by them at all.

So now I am off to bed to wonder what tomorrow will bring. I am hoping that the transfer can still go ahead but at the same time I do not want them shifted to SJOG if they have unresolved health issues or are in any way unstable :( I guess I will toss and turn all night and then call early to see what is happening.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Marnie, I cried when i opened your blog today and saw them both in that cot together. it looked so right :) I'm so happy the boys are doing well now :)